Organization: Montgomery County, Maryland
Salary: $73,811 to $133,992
Paper resumes are not accepted. All applicants must apply online.
This position will serve as the Controller for the Montgomery County Government Department of Finance. Employee will be responsible for managing and directing the activities of the Division of the Controller, including overall supervision of a staff of approximately 40 professional and clerical employees. Employee will oversee the accounting and financial reporting for a large complex government with General Fund revenues of over $2.5 billion, with government-wide net assets of $2.2 billion, and with 40 published funds comprising all fund types. Guidelines for work are broadly stated, often involving substantial independent judgment and decision making.
Specific duties include:
• Assessing and recommending the level of resources needed to discharge the accounting, financial reporting, payroll, and accounts payable operations.
• Responding to the Finance Director, Finance Chief Operating Officer, Chief Administrative Officer, County Executive, and County Council on complex technical, policy, and process issues which require senior management research, analysis, assessment, summarization, and communication.
• Providing information and assistance relating to complex analysis and policy issues.
• Establishment of internal controls, policies, and procedures, and selection of personnel.
• Assessing the impact of, and implementing, accounting and reporting standards promulgated by the Government Accounting Standards Board, the Financial Accounting Standards Board, and the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, including implementation of related business processes.
• Participating and/or providing leadership in the development, design, and implementation of system enhancements and related business process changes.
• Directing the publication of major financial reports including the County’s Comprehensive Annual Financial Report and the Single Audit Report on Expenditures of Federal Funds under OMB Circular A133.
• Working with the dedicated ERP and MCtime (electronic timesheet) project implementation teams which includes business process reengineering and replacement of financial and electronic timekeeping systems.
• Training, supervising, supporting, and evaluating staff.
Employee must possess strong interpersonal, customer service, and communication skills and must be able to deal tactfully and equitably with people.
Minimum Qualifications Statement
Please review the minimum qualifications listed for this position. Applicants must meet all the minimum qualifications in order to be considered eligible. If you do not meet all the listed minimum qualifications your application will not receive further consideration.
Minimum Qualification Experience/Licensure/Certification
Seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience in the financial accounting or auditing field, including three (3) years of which were in a supervisory or executive capacity. Note: The term “executive” is further defined as a high echelon or high level position in an organization that is assigned technical research, management advisory services responsibilities, or policy-making duties and responsibilities that exerts considerable influence on organizational policy, plans, and operations through technical research, management advisory services, and/or policy-making duties and responsibilities (e.g., County positions at Grade 30 or above). Equivalency applies.
All applicants who meet the minimum qualifications will be rated Qualified and place on the eligible list for a period of six (6) months.
RESUMES SHOULD INCLUDE INFORMATION SPECIFIC TO THE PREFERRED CRITERIA BELOW:
Minimum Qualification Education
Minimum Supervisory Experience
The selection process for this position will consist of an evaluation of your training, education, and experience in the following areas. You will be asked to include information specific to the preferred criteria (if listed) when you apply. It is important to comprehensively address each criterion so that your qualifications can be fairly assessed.
Preference in scheduling interviews will be given to applicants with experience in the following areas.
1. Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business or related field with a minor in Accounting.
2. Strong preference for an active CPA license.
3. Demonstrated experience managing a large complex financial operation, with responsibility for oversight of accounting, financial reporting, payroll, and accounts payable, and with strong interaction with procurement and budgeting operations.
4. Demonstrated experience preparing, or supervising the preparation of, a large governmental Comprehensive Annual Financial Report comprised of multiple funds and fund types
5. Demonstrated experience in analyzing and implementing major new Governmental (GASB) accounting standards, with particular emphasis on GASBs 45/43, 34/33, and 14.
If selected for consideration for this position, you may be required to provide evidence that you possess the knowledge, skills, certifications and abilities indicated on your resume.
Position Details Information
Hours per Week 40
Examination Process Training and Experience
Medical Exam Medical History
Foreign Language No
Drivers License None
Position Status Management Leadership Services
Background Investigation Yes
Financial Disclosure Yes
The Finance Department manages financial operations, recommends and implements sound fiscal policies, safeguards public assets, and encourages a safe environment on public property.
Download a comprehensive profile information document (PDF)
© Copyright Slavin Management Consultants. All rights reserved.
Close This Listing Window